Thursday, July 23, 2015

Much Ado about Nothing

If someone asked if I were a Shakespeare fan I would probably say yes. Moderately, not obsessively or anything, but that can change sometimes.

Today I watched Much Ado about Nothing for the first time. Starring Clark Gregg, Nathan Fillion and Amy Acker and directed by Joss Whedon. I didn't think it would be interesting since it was the old Shakespearean tale but in modern times. They spoke as if they lived in Shakespeare's world but looked like they live in ours.

I was surprised and charmed by the film. It was a fantastic take on the classic. The story is one of my favorite Shakespearean stories. Unlike many it has a happy ending, even with countless betrayal and heartbreak. If it wasn't Shakespeare I would probably hate it. The Shakespearean part of it has a way of enriching the story and giving the characters more depth than if it wasn't. All in all the characters were relatable and delightful, real and lovable.

There are a few things in it that aren't suitable for younger viewers, it is rated PG-13, but I would probably add a few more years on that just to be safe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment