Friday, February 3, 2017

Star Trek Beyond

I used to be an old movie purist. Meaning I wouldn't watch a movie made after 1960 for anything. That is until one day I saw The Avengers.
I'll get more into all that in a different post, but for now understand how big of a deal it is that I like and even prefer the new Star Trek movies to the original series!
The newest movie in the franchise is my favorite by far!



Spoilers below!!

The crew of the Enterprise are about 3 years into their 5 year mission. Everything is getting boring and routine and the crew are losing interest in exploring. They make a pit stop at a space station...thing. It's really hard to explain what it actually is since I've never seen anything like it in a Si-Fi movie before. They only have a sort break though, since an unknown pod seeking help, requests a ship to help rescue the remainder of her crew. Of course the Enterprise crew volunteer.

The whole rescue mission turns out to be a trap. There is a group of ships that basically destroy the Enterprise. Many crew members die, all of the main cast manage to survive, but they are all separated. This gives certain pairs a chance to work together that you wouldn't ordinarily think of. Which I really love the dynamic of. Spock and Bones are together, and Sulu and Uhura, and Chekov and Kirk.

Everyone has an important part to play in the rescue and escape of the remaining crew. (Which I love) To many times the responsibility of everyone's rescue falls to Kirk alone. I think it's great that they are finally sharing the spot light and more extensive character development among everyone.

I loved the beginning, I loved the middle and I especially loved the ending. Every time I watch it, it does make me a little sad as the end gets closer. With the whole cast standing together gazing on their new Enterprise, to the shared outro to the RIP Leonard Nimoy and For Anton at the beginning of the credits. It never fails to make me a little teary, but the brilliance of the whole movie makes it worth it!

I would definitely recommend this movie to any and everyone! If you have kids you'll probably want to watch it before you let them since your house rules may be more or less severe.












No comments:

Post a Comment